NAPE scholarship opportunities
Twenty-two (22) scholarships awarded each year valued at $500 each:
Nine (9) Regional Scholarships
One (1) Emmanual Strickland Scholarship
One (1) Max Dyke Scholarship
One (1) William Browne Scholarship
Ten (10) At-Large Scholarships
Selection to be made by the NAPE Education Committee, subject to the approval of the Board of Directors/Executive Committee.
Criteria for eligibility:
1. Must graduate from senior high.
2. Must attend a Post-Secondary Institute in the year of graduation.
3. Parent or legal guardian or Applicant must be a NAPE member in good standing.
4. Must complete a true/false Union based quiz.
Region 1 – West Coast (Bonne Bay to Port aux Basques and South to Burgeo)
Region 2 – Labrador
Region 3 – Grand Falls and surrounding area
Region 4 – Gander area
Region 5 – Conception and Trinity Bays
Region 6 – Hospitals and Health Care Institutions in St. John’s
Region 7 – St. John’s and outlying areas including the Southern Shore and excluding Hospitals and Institutions
Region 8 – Bonne Bay to St. Anthony
Region 9 – Burin Peninsula including Clarenville
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS JULY 15th
NUPGE Scholarships are available to NAPE members. There are four in total and they are:
- Tommy Douglas Scholarship $1,500 (awarded to the writer of the best 750-1000 word essay on: How Tommy Douglas contributed to making Canada a more just and equitable society.)
- Terry Fox Memorial Scholarship $1,500 (awarded to the writer of the best 750-1000 word essay on: The importance of quality public services in enhancing the quality of life of people with disabilities.)
- Aboriginal Canadians Scholarship $1,500 (awarded to the writer of the best 750-1000 word essay on: The importance of quality public services in enhancing the quality of life of Aboriginal Canadians.)
- Visible Minorities Scholarship $1,500 (awarded to the writer of the best 750-1000 word essay on: The importance of quality public services in enhancing the quality of life of visible minorities.)
Application forms are available from the NUPGE site: http://www.nupge.ca/scholarships
Deadline is June 30th of each year.
JOHNSON INSURANCE SCHOLARSHIP
The Johnson Scholarship program provides 100 students across Canada with $1,500 scholarships. Go to Johnson Scholarships to find out more.
NAPE 2012 Scholarship Recipients
Emmanuel Strickland Scholarship, $1,500 (for highest marks):
Katelyn Foley (Stephenville Crossing)
Max Dyke Scholarships of $1,000 each (for written essay):
Danielle Nash (Branch) and Hillary Rowe (Grand Falls-Windsor)
Judge Wm. Browne Scholarship, $500: Lucas Groves (Clarenville)
NAPE Regional and At-Large Scholarships ($500 each):
Samantha Budden (Stephenville), Jacqueline Melindy (Happy Valley-Goose Bay), Kelsei Rogers (Lewisporte), Matthew Stead (Gambo), Samantha Ash (Hant’s Harbour), Sarah Garland (Conception Bay South), Justin Wheeler, (Paradise), Stacey Lynn Russell (Clarenville), Helena Paddle (Corner Brook), Evan Slaney (Conception Bay South), Alyssa Giles, (Catalina), Grant Rose (Clarenville), Margaret Power (Creston South) and Samantha O’Leary (Avondale)
NAPE 2011 Scholarship Winners
Emmanuel Strickland – Jared Ryan
Max Dyke – Krista Burton and Caitlan Clarke
Judge William Browne – Hilary Williams
Region 1 – Jennifer Hutchinson
Region 2 – Jessica Cocarell-Motty
Region 3 – Kendra Smith
Region 4 – Megan Laite
Region 5 – Luke Welsh
Region 6 – Scott Wood
Region 7 – Sean Kennedy
Region 8 – Elizabeth Hillier
Region 9 – Matthew Power
At-Large – Catherine Woodford, Catherine Hutchens, Kaitlyn Bowering, Lauren Farr, Meghan Foley